Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Committee
Greetings from the BCS DEI Committee!
We are a Beverly Cleary parent group that works to center Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and apply these concepts to decision-making in our school, classrooms, programs, partnerships, and our parent community.
We are always interested in new voices to help inform the work we do. That means we need you, your experience, and your voice!
This is how the DEI Committee defined the terms “Diversity,” “Equity,” and “Inclusion.”
- DIVERSITY - Multiple identities are present, acknowledged, and welcomed.
- EQUITY - Each member of the community receives what they need to be successful through advocacy and intentional design.
- INCLUSION - The thoughts, ideas, and perspectives of all individuals matter throughout the organization.
Our Mission: To create a sense of belonging for every BCS community member
Our Vision: A school community where every member feels seen, heard, and empowered
- Every member of the BCS community has a right to a successful school experience
- Underrepresented voices should be amplified and given platform
- We can find unity in our diversity
- Are there differences present (both visible and invisible)? Is there space made for difference? Is it accepted as is?
- Is there equitable access to opportunity? Is the opportunity visible, accessible, appropriate for all?
- Are we amplifying underrepresented voices?
- Who are we advocating for? Who is benefitting?
- Who might need additional support?
The BCS DEI committee is on the lookout for a meeting facilitator. This person would set a meeting schedule, coordinate with other members to set discussion topics, and liaison with other PPS school DEI committees to further the work in the larger community. Please reach out to Karlyn Clark or Duke Harjo to get involved.