Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Committee
Greetings from the BCS DEI Committee!
We are a Beverly Cleary parent group that explores the ideas centering around Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity as well as doing the work to apply these ideas to the school, classrooms, programs, partnerships, and our parent community. Our mission and vision is to create a sense of belonging for every BCS community member and a school community where every member feels seen, heard, and empowered.
We are always interested in new voices to help inform the work we do. That means we need you, your experience, and your voice! Please join us during our informal weekly gatherings on Google (every Wednesday night at 7pm) or during our monthly official meetings also on Google.
And for folks new to the group, here is how the DEI Committee defined the terms “Diversity,” “Equity,” and “Inclusivity.”
- DIVERSITY - Multiple identities are present, acknowledged, and welcomed.
- EQUITY - Each member of the community receives what they need to be successful through advocacy and intentional design.
- INCLUSIVITY - The thoughts, ideas, and perspectives of all individuals matter throughout the organization.
To join the video meeting, click this link: https://meet.google.com/toi-pomr-dgd
We’ll see you soon.
Our Mission: To create a sense of belonging for every BCS community member
Our Vision: A school community where every member feels seen, heard, and empowered
- Every member of the BCS community has a right to a successful school experience
- Underrepresented voices should be amplified and given platform
- We can find unity in our diversity
- Are there differences present (both visible and invisible)? Is there space made for difference? Is it accepted as is?
- Is there equitable access to opportunity? Is the opportunity visible, accessible, appropriate for all?
- Are we amplifying underrepresented voices?
- Who are we advocating for? Who is benefitting?
- Who might need additional support?
Please contact committee chairs Karlyn Clark or Duke Harjo with questions or to get involved.